Accounting Clerk 2
Company: State of Iowa
Location: Des Moines
Posted on: May 16, 2022
This is a non-merit position with the Iowa Department for the
Positions in this class are exempt from the screening and referral
requirements of the Iowa Department of Administrative Services -
Human Resources Enterprise.
The Iowa Department for the Blind has a vision to be the world's
leader in blind rehabilitation services. We believe in
responsibility, respect, integrity, teamwork and leadership. The
part-time Accounting Clerk 2 will serve as the day-to-day support
for financial and accounting matters within the Department for the
Blind. This includes ensuring all proper accounting practices,
laws, and IDB procedures are being followed for financial
transactions under the subject matter of the Department for the
Blind. This position includes moderately complex non-professional
accounting tasks and related work of a clerical nature in the
accounting section of IDB. Ideal candidates will possess strong
computer skills and a belief in the capacity of blind persons.
Contributing to our Mission:
With nearly 79 employees, we're all "one team" at the Iowa
Department for the Blind. Our main goal is to empower blind Iowans
to be gainfully employed and live independently. As a member of our
team, you'll play a vital role in providing blind rehabilitation
services in our state.
What You Bring to Us:
- A cooperative, supportive, teamwork mentality.
- An interest in developing new skills.
- Attention to detail.
- A commitment to excellence in customer service.
- A background in clerical accounting and use of Excel.
- Experience in reconciling financial data across multiple
financial software systems.
- Ability to review, research, financial transactions and
- Experience with researching, reviewing, and pulling financial
data from different software.
- Comfort in cash handling and processing.
Benefits & Perks:
IDB's employment benefits are among the best with competitive total
rewards package. As a benefits-eligible State of Iowa employee,
your bi-weekly paycheck is just a part of your total compensation
package. Being part of the IDB team means you're eligible for a
wide range of benefits:
- Strive to provide work/life balance
- A workplace that promotes health and well-being
- Career growth training and promotional opportunities
- Accrued vacation, sick leave and nine fixed holidays
- Health and dental insurance
- Life and long-term disability insurance
- Employer paid basic life insurance $20,000
- Employer provided accidental death and dismemberment
- Vision care discount program
- Flexible spending account (FSA)
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS)
- Retirement Investors Club (RIC) - voluntary retirement savings
- Corporate partner discounts (cell phone services, gym
memberships, event tickets, etc.)
- Performs clerical accounting and recordkeeping tasks; follows
IDB and DAS-SAE written accounting policies and procedures in
processing invoices and contracts for payment.
- Classifies and assigns cost accounting codes; verifies and
processes invoices for payment; checks case management
authorizations, and prepares payment documents in keeping with the
authorization and the invoice.
- Files payment documents, reports, forms, and related materials
in proper chronological, alphabetical, numerical or subject order,
manually and electronically.
- Performs routine reconciliations involving a variety of
documents and accounts which require cross referencing between
accounts; identifies causes of disagreement and checks for the
accuracy of entries, and the presence of source documents.
- Entering all payment documents into the State Accounting
- Ability to reconcile monthly credit card statements-working
with staff to verify and research as necessary.
- Self-starter, who works well independently and, in a group,
- Deposits funds from various income sources including Federal
grant wire transfers, donations, and client's unused
- Ability to maintain financial records and prepare clerical
accounting reports and statements.
- Ability to read and post numerical data rapidly and
- Ability to apply personal work attitudes such as honesty,
responsibility and trustworthiness required to be a productive
- Works and communicates with all clients and customers in a
friendly and professional manner providing quality professional
- Displays a high level of attention to detail and commitment
demonstrated by completing assignments efficiently with minimal
Applicants for this position must complete the online application.
Applicants may attach a resume and cover letter when completing the
Graduation from high school or G.E.D. equivalency and two years of
clerical accounting experience which involved the compilation,
tabulation, examination, verification or recording of financial,
statistical or related fiscal data using elementary bookkeeping
principles and practices;
the successful completion of a post-high school
vocational/technical, business college, or area community college
curriculum in accounting which included concentrated course work
equivalent to twenty semester hours (or more) in accounting;
an equivalent combination of education and experience, substituting
one year of employment in clerical office work for each year of the
substituting the successful completion of thirty semester hours or
the academic equivalent in a post high school Business, Accounting
or closely related curriculum for each year of the required
any equivalent combination of qualifying education or
employees with current continuous experience in the state executive
branch that includes the equivalent of twelve months of full-time
work as an Accounting Clerk 1 shall be considered as
For additional information, please click on this link to view the
Keywords: State of Iowa, Des Moines , Accounting Clerk 2, Accounting, Auditing , Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!