Construction Technician - Starting at $19.97/hr up to $34.44/hr.
Company: Windstream Communications
Posted on: November 22, 2021
About the Role:Construction Technician-Line Worker, Drill
Operator, Plow Operator, Hydro-Vac Operator, Aerial and Underground
Construction. Responsible for installing, repairing and maintaining
poles, cables and conduits; installing aerial and buried cables
with associated hardware as required to build jobs; the running of
fiber optic, copper and other necessary cable in the
telecommunications space, both aerial and in underground
infrastructure, such as manholes; maintaining the safety of the
crew by providing direction regarding procedures, road safety,
manhole safety, attending safety meetings as requested; maintaining
material inventory, DOT vehicle inspection; operate heavy
machinery; and other duties as assigned, including, but not limited
to, splicing copper and fiber cable and any tasks associated with
splicing cable. The job will include work on weekends, holidays,
standby and unscheduled hours and overtime. Travel is required and
may be over 50% of the year depending on the business needs.What
You'll Do:Line Worker, Drill Operator, Plow Operator, Hydro-Vac
Operator, Aerial and Underground Construction
- Install, repair and maintain poles.
- Install aerial cables (fiber and copper); set up service for
customers, installing, connecting, testing, or adjusting equipment
- Measure signal strength at utility poles, using electronic test
- Inspect or test lines or cables, recording and analyzing test
results, to assess transmission characteristics and locate faults
- Access specific areas to string lines or install terminal
boxes, auxiliary equipment, or appliances, using bucket trucks, or
by climbing poles or ladders, or entering tunnels, trenches, or
- String cables between structures and lines from poles, towers,
or trenches and pull lines to proper tension using jacks, hoist and
other equipment as necessary.
- Pull up cable by hand from large reels mounted on trucks
- Lay underground cable directly in trenches or string it through
conduits running through trenches/manholes as requested and
- Pull cable through ducts by hand or with winches.
- Ability to use a variety of construction equipment to complete
installations, such as digger derricks, bucket trucks, back hoes,
trenchers, or cable plows.
- Dig trenches for underground wires or cables.
- Understand staking sheets and blueprints.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards. Be familiar
with RUS standards, read and follow design engineers' instructions
and specifications, maintain the scope of work on the project and
adhere to safety procedures.
- Prepare engineering field notes. Interpret buried underground
and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field
with clarity and detail and make recommendations for changes in
running line or construction methodologies.
- Participate in engineering, permit and construction processes
- Perform routine maintenance. Recognize and repair route issues
including but not limited to hand hole cleanup, sign placement, and
weed control as required.
- Fill and tamp holes, using cement, earth, and tamping
- Splice copper and fiber cables and tasks associated with
- Other work as assigned.IND123Job RequirementsMinimum
- 1 year of outside plant construction experience including the
installation, repair and maintenance of poles and buried or aerial
- Pole climbing certification
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 75 pounds
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, year round
- Ability to work in confined spaces and at heights
- Ability to work an on-call schedule rotation as well as
days/nights/overnights/weekends/holidays/overtime, as needed
- Valid driver's license
- Minimum qualifications to obtain a CDL
- Ability to pass DOT certification
- High School Diploma or equivalency
- Ability to Travel
- Exceptional time-management and attention to detail to complete
all paperwork accurately and on-time.Desired Qualifications:
- 5 or more years of experience
- OSHA 10 Hour Safety Course and Buck Squeeze (Pole Climbing
- Proficient at operating various Construction Equipment.Our
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance Plans
- 401K Plan
- Health & Flexible Savings Account
- Life and AD&D, Spousal Life, Child Life Insurance
- Educational Assistance Plan
- Identify Theft, Legal, Auto & Home and Pet InsuranceAbout
US:Windstream Holdings, Inc. is a leading provider of advanced
network communications and technology solutions for consumers,
small businesses, enterprise organizations and carrier partners
across the U.S.EEO Statement: Windstream is an equal opportunity
employer. At Windstream, we celebrate the authenticity and
uniqueness of our people and their ideas. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information,
protected veteran status, current military status, disability,
sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, creed,
citizenship status, or any other status protected by law, and to
give full consideration to qualified disabled individuals and
protected veterans. The diverse voices of our employees fuel our
innovation and our inclusive culture. Employment at Windstream is
subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing.
Keywords: Windstream Communications, Des Moines , Construction Technician - Starting at $19.97/hr up to $34.44/hr., Engineering , Knoxville, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!