I & C Engineer I
Company: New York Power Authority
Posted on: January 25, 2023
SummaryThe I & C Engineer is the technical lead for all
Instrumentation, Controls and Electrical Power systems for the
plant; representing the plant in matters relating to engineering
design reviews, factory acceptance testing specification
- Assist in the establishment of preliminary design criteria,
review engineering specifications, commission large-scale capital
improvement projects in support of NYPA's generation and
transmission facilities. Includes but not limited to unit upgrades,
unit overhauls and other major improvements at NYPA's
- Assist in the preparation of thorough Asset Management work
plans in support of all recurring and non-recurring engineered
jobs.Engineered jobs include the preparation of all drawings,
procurement of all materials, preparation of all installation and
O&M procedures and the review of all engineering and test data.
Includes completion of all job safety analysis.
- Provide supervisory and administrative support of the
Instrumentation & Control Department's requirement to maintain and
improve overall operating performance.
- Review existing instrumentation and control equipment for
performance and, or increased maintenance costs, and prepare
recommendations for repair or replacement. Ensure all regulatory
requirements are met (NYISO, NPCC, NERC/CIP, NERC/PRC, FERC, FCC).
Includes the preparation of all budget justification forms.
- Review the current maintenance practices for suitability and
economic reasonableness. Prepare recommendations for improvement,
consistent with current technology and proactive industry, and
government compliance standards.
- Provide support for all facility O&M, WPO Protection &
Control Engineering, ECC, Joint Works and other NYPA departments in
implementing equipment modifications or design changes. Includes
the preparation of all drawings necessary to install the
- Assist in the preparation of engineering reports, such as the
protective relaying disturbance reports and equipment failure
reports, etc. as required by the Instrumentation & Control
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.Knowledge,
Skills and Abilities
- Must be technically competent at implementing complex
assignments involving protective relaying, communication, computer,
networks, PLC, control, metering, and plant security equipment.
Must have the willingness to continue education by attending
pertinent classes outside the workplace, be a self-starter and be
capable of planning and coordinating small scale projects.
- A thorough knowledge of NYPA's policies and practices as well
as industry-wide policies and practices is required.Must have a
solid understanding of related disciplines, divisions, and/or
departments and their interaction with the incumbent's
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills. The ability to
communicate vertically and horizontally is essential.
- Must be able to produce finished products (specifications and
reports) with little or no editing by supervision. Presentations
must be clear and concise and reflect the targeted audience.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work in a multitasked
- Must be able to define problems, collect data, establish facts,
and draw valid conclusions by applying accepted standards. Ability
to apply cost/benefit analysis, time constraints and
recommendations as an integral part of the problem-solving task is
- Ability to assist the Instrumentation & Control Superintendent
in long-term planning and scheduling, consistent with established
- Proficient personal computer skills including Microsoft
- Must be able to lead work groups and committees, as well as
extend influence in order to obtain the appropriate resources
necessary to achieve success.This demonstrative influence must be
positive and represent a goal for associate engineers.
- Must be able to manage the routine and uncommon duties of the
Instrumentation & Control Department. Includes hourly, annual,
technical and non-technical employees.Ability to manage contractors
performing work at NYPA's facilities is required.
- This position requires a self-starter, who can work
independently with limited supervision or guidance.
- Ability to travel.Education, Experience and Certifications
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum 3 years of I&C experience.
- Has or ready to take the first part of the New York State
Professional Engineering License is preferred.Physical Requirements
- Ability to access all areas of the plant and conduct physical
evaluations of grounds and equipment including ability to climb and
work at high elevations.
- Protective equipment must be worn in the performance of some
- Extended working hours with the possibility of weekend and
holiday work, as required by schedules, work load and plant
conditions.Military Occupational Specialty Codes
MOS - Army:12A, 12B, 12P, 18C, 24A, 24Z, 51S
MOS - Marines:1120, 1302, 1310, 8824, 8831, 8832, 9622, 9624, 9630,
9631, 9632, 9636
MOS- Navy:EA, MME, UT, 2166, 2167, 2170, 2180, 2181, 2740, 4210,
4270, 4280, 5761, 5904, 5913, 5917, 5925, 5927, 5960, 5961, 5970,
5980, 7273New York Power Authority is committed to providing fair,
competitive, and market-informed compensation. The target salary
range for this position is: $91,000- $111,000. Salary offered will
be determined based the successful candidates' relevant experience,
knowledge, skills, and abilities.The New York Power Authority and
Canals Corporation believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion
drive our success, and we encourage women, people of color,
LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic
minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. As an
equal opportunity employer, NYPA/Canals is committed to building
inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect
communities across NY and enthusiastically serve them. We proudly
celebrate diversity and do not discriminate based on race,
religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity and/or expression, age, veteran status, disability status,
pregnancy, marital status, genetic information, arrest record or
criminal conviction history, or any other category protected by
We are happy to provide reasonable religious accommodations during
the hiring process for those in need. If you have a disability or
special need that requires a reasonable accommodation, please send
a request email@example.com.
Keywords: New York Power Authority, Des Moines , I & C Engineer I, Engineering , Massena, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!