Nursing Unit Supervisor / RN - 7 North Cardio Pulmonary
Company: MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center
Location: Des Moines
Posted on: October 16, 2020
Overview: MercyOne Central Iowa operates four not-for-profit,
Catholic medical centers in Des Moines, West Des Moines, Newton and
Centerville and two specialty hospitals - MercyOne Children's
Hospital in Des Moines and MercyOne Rehabilitation Hospital in
Clive (965 beds total) - along with more than 20 additional
facilities that house more than 50 primary care, pediatric,
internal medicine and specialty clinics. Founded by the Sisters of
Mercy in 1893, MercyOne Central Iowa has the longest continually
operating hospital in Des Moines and is also one of the largest
employers in the state, with more than 7,000 employees and a
medical staff of more than 1,000 physicians and allied health
associates. MercyOne Central Iowa is a member of MercyOne, which
was founded in 1998 through a collaboration between CommonSpirit
Health and Trinity Health - two of the country's foremost,
not-for-profit Catholic health organizations. MercyOne has more
than 20,000 colleagues in Iowa and surrounding states.
GENERAL SUMMARY:The Nursing Unit Supervisor provides direct patient
care and coordinates nursing activities to facilitate safe, quality
patient care at the unit/department level, usually for a defined
shift (such as days, nights, or weekends). Serves as a resource and
role model and collaborates with a multidisciplinary team to
optimize department operations. Under the direction of the
unit/department director, may assist with other management
responsibilities as assigned. Overall, management responsibilities
comprise less than 50% of the total job role. Works independently
with limited direct supervision in accordance with the Iowa Nurse
Practice Act, Mercy Medical Center policies, and patient care
standards and professional judgment.
- Maintains high level clinical competence to assess patient
needs, plan patient care, implement appropriate interventions, and
evaluate the effectiveness of patient care delivered to defined
- Provides front-line leadership as a resource, mentor, and role
model in delivering patient care using a team approach.
- Provides consultation upon request in area of clinical
expertise to other nursing staff or health professionals.
- Serves as a resource or "Super User" for documentation in the
electronic medical record.
- Leads daily huddles and assists with maintaining huddle
- Monitors safety compliance and contributes to fostering a
culture of safety at the unit level. SUPERVISORY FUNCTIONS
- Supervises unit/department personnel, including registered
nurses and licensed practical nurses, patient care technicians,
department support assistants, and other department personnel,
usually for an assigned shift (i.e. days, nights, or
- Facilitates efficient unit/department operations, including
staff assignments and patient throughput.
- Adjusts staffing and prioritizes workload to meet patient/unit
- Provides support to staff to ensure patients of a positive care
experience. Assists with the resolution of patient/family
complaints. Escalates issues appropriately to the director or
- Assists with leading quality improvement activities including
performance improvement processes to ensure evidence-based
practices are in place..
- May assist with additional management duties as assigned by the
unit/department director, including, but not limited to:
- Interviewing and hiring of personnel
- Scheduling of staff
- Utilization of premium pay
- Staff performance feedback and discipline
- Maintaining personnel records
- Staff performance reviews
- In the absence of the unit/department director, may represent
the director on hospital committees or attend management meetings
on the director's behalf.
- Plans unit and nursing resource utilization based on
established admission, discharge and transfer criteria, initiating
appropriate intervention and collaboration to optimize patient care
and unit/department operations.
- Manages Bedboard compliance. Collaborates with Patient Flow
department and House Supervisor to optimize patient
- Leads or participates in interdisciplinary patient rounds and
care conferences, management rounding to patients and staff, and
Rounding to Influence (Safety First).
- Assist nursing and interdisciplinary team in patient/family
education and discharge planning.
- Supports clinical research by assisting staff as needed in
collecting data for approved research protocols.
- Facilitates communication between patient/family, physicians
and other caregivers to achieve consensus for the plan of care.
Consults with the Ethics Committee as appropriate. EDUCATION
- Collaborates with Unit Director and Clinical Resource Nurse or
department educator for a plan for achievement and maintenance of
skills/competencies of team personnel.
- Understands employee competency documentation
- Provides orientation/education for staff, students, and other
hospitals and community organizations as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Possession of a current or compact state license as a
Registered Nurse issued/defined by the State of Iowa.
- Bachelor degree in nursing required, or actively in pursuit of
BSN degree (accepted into a BSN Program and/or currently enrolled).
Expected to take at least six credits per year at Unit Director's
discretion for exception.
- 18 months of RN experience required.
- Proof of completion of Mandatory Reporter - Child and/or
Dependent Adult Abuse training within three (3) months of
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for the Healthcare Provider certified
or obtained within three (3) months of hire. Acceptable
credentialing bodies and certifications include American Red Cross
CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and American Heart Association
Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers.Equal Opportunity
CommonSpirit Health is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a
diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will be
considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
disability, marital status, parental status, ancestry, veteran
status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected
External hires must pass a post offer, pre-employment background
check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with an arrest and/or
conviction will be considered for employment in a manner consistent
with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local
ordinances, ban the box laws, including but not limited to the San
Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the
employment process, please contact us by telephone at and let us
know the nature of your request. We will only respond to messages
left that involve a request for a reasonable accommodation in the
application process. We will accommodate the needs of any qualified
candidate who requests a reasonable accommodation under the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
CommonSpirit Health participates in E-verify.
Keywords: MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center, Des Moines , Nursing Unit Supervisor / RN - 7 North Cardio Pulmonary, Healthcare , Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!