RN- Cardiothoracic/Peripheral Vascular Surgery
Company: MERCY MEDICAL CENTER-DSM
Location: Des Moines
Posted on: January 9, 2021
Overview: MercyOne Central Iowa operates four not-for-profit,
Catholic medical centers in Des Moines, West Des Moines, Newton and
Centerville and two specialty hospitals - MercyOne Children's
Hospital in Des Moines and MercyOne Rehabilitation Hospital in
Clive (965 beds total) - along with more than 20 additional
facilities that house more than 50 primary care, pediatric,
internal medicine and specialty clinics. Founded by the Sisters of
Mercy in 1893, MercyOne Central Iowa has the longest continually
operating hospital in Des Moines and is also one of the largest
employers in the state, with more than 7,000 employees and a
medical staff of more than 1,000 physicians and allied health
associates. MercyOne Central Iowa is a member of MercyOne, which
was founded in 1998 through a collaboration between CommonSpirit
Health and Trinity Health - two of the country's foremost,
not-for-profit Catholic health organizations. MercyOne has more
than 20,000 colleagues in Iowa and surrounding states. CommonSpirit
Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives
(CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the
U. S., from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual
care services, CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of
every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never
before. Our communities need caring and our families need
protection. With our combined resources, CommonSpirit is committed
to building healthy communities, advocating for those who are poor
and vulnerable, and innovating how and where healing can happen,
both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
GENERAL SUMMARY:Provides perioperative patient care, specifically
in the intraoperative phase, in both the scrub and circulating
roles according to established guidelines. Serves the population
from neonate, infant, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric.
This position requires call, weekends, nights and Holidays as
- Scrubs and circulates on cases independently, with minimal
- Prepares for surgical cases in an efficient manner,
anticipating needs of patient, surgeon, anesthesia and other O.R.
- Provides a safe environment for patient and staff by
implementing standards of aseptic technique and by controlling the
physical and psychological aspects of that environment.
- Collects and analyzes data and assesses patient in developing
- Communicates effectively with the patient, staff, physicians,
- Maintains knowledge of equipment set-up and function.
- Initiates and directs room clean up and turnover.
- Participates in orientation and training of new personnel.
- Assists in maintenance of physician's preference cards and
other O.R. resource material.
- Utilizes computer in surgical documentation, disposition of
specimens and obtaining pertinent information.
- Participates in departmental Performance Improvement activities
- Attends department meetings and inservices.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Possession of a current or compact state license as a
Registered Nurse issued/defined by the State of Iowa.
- Operating Room experience preferred.
- Basic Life Support certified within six (6) weeks of hire.
Acceptable credentialing bodies and certifications include American
Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and American Heart
Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers.
- Proof of completion of Mandatory Reporter abuse training
specific to population served within three (3) months of hire.
- Ability to read, write and speak English language.
CommonSpirit Health participates in E-verify.
Keywords: MERCY MEDICAL CENTER-DSM, Des Moines , RN- Cardiothoracic/Peripheral Vascular Surgery, Healthcare , Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!