PRN CMA OR LPN POSITION FOR SURGERY DEPARTMENTS
Company: Humboldt County Memorial Hospital
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Job Description PRN CMA or LPN position for our Surgery
Department. Will be cross trained between endo, OR, pain, and
central sterile areas. Approximately 16 hours per week, 32 hours
per pay period.JOB TITLE: Certified Medical Assistant/ Licensed
Practical Nurse PRIMARY FUNCTION & RELATIONSHIP TO TOTAL
ORGANIZATION:Provides quality care on a direct and indirect basis.
Communicates with and on behalf of the patients and coordinates
patient care with other health care team members. Organizes those
aspects of patient care for which she/he is accountable. Will cross
train between all surgical areas including endo, OR, pain, and
central sterile areas. REPORTS TO: Director of Surgery ESSENTIAL
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Answers phone calls in a courteous and professional
- Schedules patients according to the date requested and type of
procedure in a timely manner.
- Performs insurance verification and pre-authorization on all
- Registers and rooms patients when they arrive for
- Enters patient information into computer and updates
demographic and insurance information with each patient visit.
- Follow-up calls performed with all patients that did not appear
for the scheduled procedure or appointment.
- Communicates patient arrival with all team members, and assists
- Obtains initial patient information and provides pre-op and
post-op care of short stay patients.
- Document's interventions, patient response, effectiveness, and
complications on the patient EMR.
- Conducts pre-op and post-op calls regarding patient's health
and procedures in the appropriate timeframe.
- Maintains knowledge and administration practices of medications
given in the surgical/pain department. Prepares and administers
medications under the direction of immediate registered nurse or
- Provides education to patients and families using the
teach-back method per protocols and guidelines.
- Efficiently communicates information to registered nurse,
providers, or co-workers as deemed necessary.
- Prioritizes, plans, and organizes the delivery of care to use
time and resources effectively and efficiently.
- Maintains accountability for own care to assure adherence to
ethical and legal standards.
- Assists with cleaning of patient rooms and assists with the
prepping of rooms for clinical procedures.
- Assists with maintaining department PAR levels for equipment,
linen, and supplies.
- Complies with hospital, OR, and nursing service policies. Will
complete annual competencies, attend department meetings, and read
- Demonstrates the knowledge that patient and workplace safety is
a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and
reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
- Demonstrates willingness to support staffing and scheduling
needs, and willingness to cross train within departments.
- Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service
by striving to exceed customer expectations.
- Balance team and individual responsibilities; be open and
objective to other's views; give and welcome feedback; contribute
to positive team goals; and put the success of the team above own
interest. GENERAL SUBJECTS OF CONCERN:
- Maintains a courteous and professional manner in dealing with
patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers.
- Shows positive attitude toward work schedules, department and
hospital changes, assignments, and other personnel issues.
- Presents professional appearance in dress and grooming,
complies with departmental dress code, and wears hospital
identification badge at all times.
- Conforms to hospital policy regarding use of sick time,
personal days, notification of absence or tardiness. Complies to
Key Service Behaviors and encourages staff to follow same
- Is cost effective in utilization of time, equipment, and
- Willingly cooperates with co-workers and other departments.
WORK ENVIRONMENT:Requires constant mental alertness and the ability
to evaluate, detect, and act on changes to the patient's condition.
Maintains a high degree of efficiency in the ability to change from
task to task and establishing appropriate priorities. Requires full
range of body motion, including patient assist, manual and finger
dexterity, and eye hand coordination. Occasionally requires long
periods of standing, walking, and lifting heavy items. Must be able
to work in a high stress environment, and able to work closely and
effectively with occasional demanding providers/surgeons. Works in
environmentally controlled atmosphere. Exposure to harmful
chemicals and radiation. Chance of injury caused by needles and
sharp instruments, autoclave burns, electrical equipment, power
tools, and body fluids are all risks of working in this department.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduate from an accredited program for Medical
- Current, unrestricted certification for Certified Medical
- Completion of BLS.
- Graduate from accredited program for Licensed Practical
- Current, unrestricted license to practice in the State of
- Completion of BLS. ACLS and PALS certification within 6 months
of hire.EMPLOYMENT VARIABLES/APPROXIMATE HOURS: *Schedules are
subject to change per surgery/pain clinic schedule*PHYSICAL/MENTAL
CHARACTERISTICS REQUIRED BY ESSENTIAL AND MARGINAL TASKS TASKX
TASKX1.Heavy lifting, 45 lbs. & overX19.PushingX2.Moderate lifting,
15-44 lbs. 20.Stooping 3.Light lifting, under 15 lbs. 21.Climbing
stairsX4.Heavy carrying, 45 lbs. &overX22.Climbing ladders
5.Moderate carrying, 15-44 lbs. 23.Operating mechanical equipment
6.Light carrying, under 15 lbs. 24.Operating office
equipmentX7.Straight pullingX25.Operating motor vehicleX8.Pulling
hand over hand 26.Ability to seeX9.Repeated bendingX27.Identify
colorsX10.Reaching above shoulderX28.Depth perception
neededX11.Simple graspingX29.Hearing (with aid) 12.Dual
simultaneous graspingX30.Hearing (without
aid)X13.WalkingX31.Ability to writeX14.StandingX32.Ability to
countX15.SittingX33.Ability to readX16.Crawling 34.Other (please
specify): 17.Twisting 35.Other (please specify):
18.KneelingX36.Other (please specify): RELATED WORK SITE AND
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS TASKX TASKX1.Outside 13.Dust
2.InsideX14.Grease and oils 3.TravelX15.Solvents a)
car16.Radiant/electrical energy b) van 17.Slippery/uneven walking
surfaces c) busX18.Working around machines with moving partsand
moving objects d) plane 19.Working around moving objects or
vehiclesX4.Excessive heat 20.Working below ground 5.Excessive cold
21.Working on ladders or scaffolding 6.Excessive humidity
22.Working with hands in water 7.Excessive dampness/chill
23.Vibration 8.Dry atmosphere 24.Working closely with
othersX9.Excessive noise/intermittentX25.Working aloneX10.Constant
noise 26.Longer or irregular work hoursX11.Silica, asbestos, etc.
27.Other (please specify): 12.Fumes, smoke, gases 28.Other (please
specify): I have read, understand, and have had these primary job
responsibilities and job requirements reviewed with me. I confirm
that I am able to perform these responsibilities and meet these
requirements:o without accommodations under ADAo with the following
accommodations under ADA:
Employee/Applicant ____________________________________ Date
________________________________________ Date ______________
Keywords: Humboldt County Memorial Hospital, Des Moines , PRN CMA OR LPN POSITION FOR SURGERY DEPARTMENTS, Healthcare , Humboldt, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!