EMT Dispatcher - MercyOne Communications - PT.6 (Nights)
Company: Mercy Health
Location: Des Moines
Posted on: March 17, 2019
Position Type: Regular
Scheduled Hours per 2 week Pay Period: 48
Primary Location: IA > DES MOINES > MERCY MEDICAL CENTER GENERAL SUMMARY : The Dispatcher's primary focus is to be the communication link between Mercy One, Pediatric Transport, Neonatal Intensive Care Transport, Mercy Ambulances, and all pre-hospital agencies, hospitals and law enforcement agencies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
- Receives all incoming requests for Mercy One, Pediatric Transport, and Neonatal transports. The dispatcher will coordinate responses by obtaining patient information and activating the appropriate team.
- Coordinates alternate transportation when a transport team is unable to provide service.
- Communicates patient information to the transport teams, in addition obtains and relays navigation and landing information to the pilot. Coordinates landing zone with law enforcement as requested.
- Communicates with requesting agency and receiving hospital, providing updates as applicable.
- Provides flight following throughout the mission, either by satellite tracking or by communicating with the pilot every ten minutes if satellite tracking is inoperable on the aircraft during the flight.
- Completes flight database following each flight.
- Observes weather patterns, alerting pilots and members of the transport teams of significant changes.
- Receives and coordinates all incoming/outgoing inter-facility, clinic transfers, 911 requests, mutual aid requests, specialty team transports, and all other activities related to dispatching for Mercy Ambulances.
- Receives EMS ground ambulance radio and telephone communications. Documents radio reports from EMS calls and obtains a Physician Designee for Medical Control requests for Mercy Medical Center and Mercy West Lakes.
- Enters in via computer all information pertaining to Level I Cardiac, Traumas, stroke and any other requested paging groups or messages as required.
- Completes faxing of any documents which are required to go to another department.
- Activates all designated teams via the paging system to include trauma team, Level I cardiac personnel, Stroke team, Rapid Response team, IV team, ECMO team, etc.
- Monitors the main and secondary helipads and ambulance garage for inbound rescues.
- Notifies the appropriate nursing unit of incoming patients who are direct admissions and provides rescues with room assignments.
- Assists EMS in coordination of any needs.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Assists in orienting new dispatchers and flight team members to responsibilities in the dispatch center.
- Coordinates all IV requests from the floor as needed.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED :
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- A minimum 2 years' experience as an EMT-B, Paramedic, or 2 years as an Emergency Dispatcher required.
- Certified as an EMT-B or EMT-P in the State of Iowa, preferred.
- Excellent critical thinking skills required.
- Requisition ID: 2019-R
- Schedule: Part-time
- Market: Mercy Medical Center
Keywords: Mercy Health, Des Moines , EMT Dispatcher - MercyOne Communications - PT.6 (Nights), Healthcare , Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!