RN Informaticist - OneCare Clinical IT
Company: Mercy Health
Location: Des Moines
Posted on: April 18, 2019
GENERAL SUMMARY: In close collaboration with the patient care areas
and the IT department, the Clinical Informaticist is responsible
for providing leadership to the planning, coordination and
implementation of clinical IT projects, initiatives and existing
systems in the patient care areas. The Clinical Informaticist
provides subject matter expertise and oversight of other subject
matter experts as necessary.
- Provides project leadership on clinical documentation projects
including, but not limited to, the CHI Clinical Standardization and
One Care (Cerner, HIE) projects. Takes the role of project leader
by defining resource needs, project timelines, implementation
schedules, and other duties associated with project leadership to
ensure timely project completion and fulfillment of all project
goals and objectives.
- Utilizes effective problem solving skills in identifying
strengths and weaknesses in the Clinical IT projects, identifying
obstacles to progress and creatively defines problem solving
- Applies knowledge and understanding of nursing documentation,
informatics, and nursing nomenclatures and languages.
- Maintains current knowledge of standards, patient safety goals,
and other regulatory requirements, and integrates this into
clinical information systems design.
- Provides oversight at the MBO level for data and workflow
integrity between applications and systems.
- Insures that clinical end-users are appropriately involved
throughout the design and installation process.
- Supervises clinicians involved in the implementation team.
Participates in team member interviews, selection and
- Coordinates and leads project related team meetings.
- Monitors timelines and project resource allocation.
- Submits status reports toward project goals as requested.
- Appropriately escalates issues that may compromise patient
safety, adversely impact clinical workflow, project timelines,
goals, or budget.
- Supervises training initiatives related to Clinical IT
- Monitors clinical documentation quality and establishes
performance improvement goals.
- Monitors and analyzes performance data extracted from clinical
IT systems, constructs reports and collaborates with clinical
leaders to drive quality improvement activities (examples include
but are not limited to, Alaris Smart Pump CQI, Vocera monthly
reports, Medication Reconciliation reports)
- Applies creative problem-solving strategies to facilitate the
optimization of existing clinical IT technologies.
- Serves as key communication link between the clinical IT teams
such as One Care, both locally and nationally and hospital
leadership. Provides status reports throughout the design and
- Exhibits excellent written and verbal communication skills with
all levels. Effectively utilizes communication technologies such as
web-based meetings, conference calls and email.
- Builds and promotes effective working relationships with
multiple departments and disciplines. Builds positive relationships
with colleagues at CHI national offices and other hospitals.
- Excellent facilitation and problem solving skills.
- Maintains current knowledge of clinical informatics through
regular review of the literature, attending conferences,
participation in professional organizations, etc
- Performs other duties as assigned or as necessity dictates.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN) in Iowa.
- Bachelor degree in nursing, required, or actively in pursuit of
BSN degree (accepted into a BSN Program and/or currently enrolled).
Expected to take at least six credits per year at Unit Director's
discretion for exception. Alternative educational preparation may
be considered by the Unit Director to meet the individual needs of
- Minimum five years acute care clinical nursing experience,
- Experience with clinical information systems strongly
- Minimum of three years leadership experience as a nurse
manager, Clinical Resource Nurse, Clinical Specialist, nursing
supervisor, etc., preferred.
- Proficient in use of computer applications; i.e., MS Office
- Advanced computer or information systems training
- Ability to travel.
Join us at Catholic Health Initiatives, and become a part of our
faith-based health system. Additional Information
- Requisition ID: 2019-R
- Schedule: Full-time
- Market: CHI Mercy Health
Keywords: Mercy Health, Des Moines , RN Informaticist - OneCare Clinical IT, Healthcare , Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!