RN Transport - SIOUX CITY MercyOne Air Transport - FT.9 (D/N)
Company: Mercy Health
Location: Des Moines
Posted on: April 18, 2019
PLEASE NOTE-POSITION IS BASED OUT OF SIOUX CITY, IOWA
Position Type: Regular
Scheduled Hours per 2 week Pay Period: 72
Primary Location: IA > SIOUX CITY > MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
Provides professional critical care nursing care for acutely ill
and injured patients incorporating the nursing process of all age
groups in an air medical (helicopter), pre-hospital, and hospital
environment (emergency and critical care). Is guided by Mercy One
protocols or direct medical control. Serves as a preceptor for new
employees, students and Mercy One volunteer (Ride along
- Performs initial and ongoing subjective and objective
assessment of patients with complex health care needs in the
pre-hospital and hospital environment (emergency and critical
- Promotes patient-centered care through:
- Respect of the patients values, preferences and expressed
- Coordination and integration of care
- Information, communication and education
- Physical comfort
- Emotional support and alleviation of fear and anxiety
- Involvement of family and friends
- Transition and continuity
- Implements interventions and treatments consistent with Mercy
One protocols and/or medical on-line direction, documenting
response to cares and treatments.
- Collaborates with the patient, significant others, rescue
personnel and outlying hospital personnel to create a
multidisciplinary healthcare team whose goal is to provide care
that is continuous and well coordinated.
- Quickly, efficiently, and calmly responds to emergent and
- Communicates with patients at a level consistent with age and
- Documents a comprehensive patient record that is organized and
complete reflecting all aspects of nursing care provided.
- Provides psychological support to the patient and family based
on assessed need.
- Supervises the Flight Paramedic as needed.
- Actively participates in evaluating and ensuring safety in and
around the aircraft. Directs any safety concerns to the Program
Manager, Base Lead Pilot, and/or Safety Officer. Makes
recommendations for safe practices.
- Educates others in the safe practices in and around the
helicopter through formal and informal presentations.
- Checks and maintains all medical equipment, supplies and
medications for patient care on a daily basis.
- Completes follow-up on transported patients, providing written
and verbal progress reports to the referring
- Assists specialty transport personnel (OB Nurse, NICU Transport
Team, Pediatric Transport team).
- When not flying and once all responsibilities associated with
the daily operations of the program have been completed; provides
patient care and interventions in the hospital and Emergency
Department persistent to scope of practice, responds to medical
emergencies, and Rapid Response requests for in patient issues.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- A minimum of three years registered nursing experience in a
critical care or emergency department, or flight program, or three
years of experience as a flight paramedic and one year critical
care or emergency experience as an RN with a minimum of 1,800 hours
worked as an RN, with proof of hours worked.
At time of hire with Mercy One must have and maintain:
- Possession of a current or compact state license as a
registered nurse issued/defined by the State of Iowa.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for the Healthcare Provider
certification Acceptable credentialing bodies and certifications
include American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and
American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification
Obtain within 3 months of hire with Mercy One and maintain:
- Successful completion of the Neonatal Resuscitation Program
- Proof of completion of Mandatory Reporter abuse training
specific to population served
Obtain within 6 months of hire with Mercy One and maintain:
- Obtain one of the following certifications:
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
- Advanced Trauma Care for Nursing, (ATCN)
- Transport Professional Advanced Trauma Course (TPATC)
- Transport Nurse Advanced Trauma Course (TNATC)
- Trauma Nursing Core Course (TNCC)
Obtain within 2 years of hire with Mercy One and maintain:
- One of the following certified nurse endorsements:
- Certified Emergency Nurse, (CEN),
- Critical Care Registered Nurse, (CCRN),
- Certified Flight Registered Nurse, (CFRN),
- or Certified Transport Registered Nurse, (CTRN).
- (For those hired before January 1, 2017, must obtain by July 1,
2018; if hired after January 1, 2017, must obtain within 2 years of
- Must meet weight requirement.
Overview: This job requires excellent fitness in order to lift
patients from various locations and height, often in excess of 100
pounds and load into the helicopter. Weight of the flight team must
be at time of hire and maintained less than 225 pounds. Failure to
maintain a weight under 225 pounds will result in a
counseling/disciplinary process as defined in our specific weight
policy. This weight of the flight team member should be compatible
with fitness and agility that allows performance of
responsibilities in small confined space. Weight restrictions exist
due to the maximum gross weight capacity of the primary and back-up
- Must pass an initial audiogram with an annual test every year
- Must not have any inner ear disturbance which might be affected
in high altitudes
- Requisition ID: 2019-R0222618
- Schedule: Full-time
- Market: Mercy Medical Center
Keywords: Mercy Health, Des Moines , RN Transport - SIOUX CITY MercyOne Air Transport - FT.9 (D/N), Healthcare , Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!