Deputy General Counsel
Company: CO-OP Financial Services
Location: Des Moines
Posted on: May 6, 2021
US-IA-Des MoinesReq No. 2021-7642Category ExecutiveType
Full-TimeThe OpportunityWe are seeking a talented Deputy General
Counsel to lead all legal activities related to the company's
operations, including product development, client and vendor
contracting, human resources and benefits issues, and privacy and
regulatory matters. The incumbent will manage a team of legal
professionals, as well as the company's external firm
relationships, with an emphasis on building legal capabilities that
are able to scale with the company's innovation activities,
expanding products and services, and growing business. The Deputy
General Counsel will have significant legal managerial obligations,
but must also be comfortable taking a hands approach in the role,
which will involve daily interaction with clients, the company's
senior leaders, and cross-functional teams working to expand and
grow the company's business. The position requires strong business
acumen, risk based decision-making, and a strong focus on
client-minded service to internal and external clients.
- This position is fully-remote. That means we are open to talent
across the country and the person in this position will be able to
continue working remotely even after we transition back into our
physical office locations.
- This position is temporarily-remote. That means that this
position is currently remote due to COVID. However, once we
transition back into the office, the manager would prefer for this
person to work in the physical office.
- This position is flexibly-remote. That means that this position
is currently remote due to COVID. Once we make the transition back
into the office, there may be flexibility for a hybrid schedule of
both remote and in-office work.
- This position is on-site. That means that the person in this
position is expected to work in our physical office location. As
stated above, we are doing everything we can to protect our
employees that are working on-site and greatly appreciate their
commitment. What You Can Look Forward to
- Manage and oversee operational legal activities of the
- Supervise, train, and manage team of legal professionals
responsible for legal operations of the company.
- Provide business and legal advice for issues and risks related
to client and vendor contracting processes, including approval
matrices, company policies and procedures, and IP and regulatory
- Manage external law firm engagements and legal spend to ensure
timely results within appropriate spend levels.
- Draft, negotiate and advise on complex transactions involving
sophisticated counterparties and external service providers,
software licenses, professional services agreements, and other
strategic sourcing contracts.
- Create, update, and modify standardized templates for legal
documents that meet acceptable organizational risk limits.
- Monitor evolving laws that may impact the company, its clients
and products and services, and assist with operationalizing and
implementing compliant products and services.
- Respond to regulatory and other inquires, complaints and
- Research, analyze and provide practical advice to business
units on complex legal and compliance matters related to privacy
and data security both in the U.S. and globally (e.g.,
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, CCPA, and GDPR).
- Advise and provide legal support on employment and benefits
- Manage the company's insurance program and coverages.
- Support the General Counsel and organization on other
miscellaneous or strategic projects.
- Manage and oversee legal operations team.
- Effectively mentor and coach employees.
- Show enthusiasm for helping others improve or develop new
- Ensure that people share information and have access to
information they need to perform their tasks effectively.
- Direct their actions and the actions of others toward achieving
goals that are critical to the success of the operation.
- Responsible for reporting risks that are identified to the
appropriate team and/or management. Additionally, responsible for
managing, monitoring and reporting risks within the scope of your
work area, to include, but not limited to Information Security
- Actively supports our CO-OP culture and embraces our core
values of Work as Partners, Communicate Openly and Honestly,
Demonstrate Excellence and Champion Change in all interactions.
What You'll Need to Succeed
- Completion of high school, or equivalent.
- Graduate of an accredited law school (JD) and licensed to
practice law in one or more states.
- 12+ years of legal experience in a well-regarded law firm
and/or in-house legal department.
- Experience managing and overseeing other attorneys and
- Significant experience with corporate and commercial
transactions, particularly technology vendors.
- Extensive commercial contracting experience is essential for
- Familiarity with laws and regulations affecting credit and
debit card issuers (e.g., Credit Card Act, FCRA, Fair Credit
Billing Act, TILA, Reg E and Z).
- Strong understanding of commercial contracting principles and
issues and strong negotiation skills.
- Proficient PC knowledge and the use of standard software
packages, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong business acumen and an eagerness to partner with
internal business colleagues to solve business issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication/presentation
- Effective interpersonal skills, and ability to convey complex
information in a way that others can readily follow.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, as well as
ability to prioritize workload using good judgment, while balancing
the need for an immediate response with accuracy and completeness
- Ability to build strong relationships with stakeholders at all
levels, internally and externally.
- Detail-oriented with strong problem solving skills and the
ability to identify, analyze, and resolve problems, driving
solutions to completion.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and manage multiple
tasks/projects simultaneously, while meeting demanding
- Ability to lead cross-departmental project teams and develop a
talented and highly motivated team.
- Strong leadership, management and people skills. Why Join
CO-OP?CO-OP is committed to fostering a workplace where every
employee feels valued, respected, and connected. We are dedicated
to understanding, attracting and engaging a diverse workforce;
ensuring that our employee base reflects the consumers we serve;
cultivating a workplace in which every employee can live up to
their full potential. The result of this effort is an inclusive
environment where diverse talent thrives. You will be part of an
organization that focuses on a strong culture and embodies the
credit union movement philosophy of People Helping People. CO-OP's
commitment to reflecting our own core values and purpose extends
beyond how we serve our clients and the products that we deliver.
With more than 35 years of industry leadership, CO-OP Financial
Services is the largest, most comprehensive credit union service
organization in the nation. CO-OP serves as THE credit union
technology engine, bringing payments solutions, engagement services
and strategic counsel to help credit unions optimize member
experiences to consistently provide seamless, personalized
multi-channel offerings, while delivering secure, sophisticated
fraud mitigation service. CO-OP serves more than 3,000 client
credit unions, with 60 million debit and credit cardholders, nearly
30,000 surcharge-free ATMs and more than 5,600 shared branches
nationwide. Our vast technological ecosystem facilitates more than
6.5 billion transactions every year and equips credit unions of all
sizes to deepen member engagement and prosper in the fast-paced
world of fintech. The Perks
- Fun, challenging and, collaborative work environment with
passionate colleagues that care deeply about the intersection of
technology and human-centered financial services.
- Great Work/Life Benefits - Paid Time Off (PTO), Maternity,
Parental, Family Care, Adoption Leave Programs, Community Volunteer
Time Off, and 10 Paid Holidays.
- Health benefits - medical, dental, & vision plus wellness
programs and gym reimbursements.
- 401K with generous company match.
- Tuition reimbursement.
Keywords: CO-OP Financial Services, Des Moines , Deputy General Counsel, Legal , Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!