Director, Strategic and Financial Planning Universityof Iowa
Hospitals & Clinics—recognized as one of the best hospitals in
theUnited States—is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical
center and aregional referral center. Each day more than 12,000
employees, students, andvolunteers work together to provide safe,
quality health care and excellentservice for our patients. Simply
stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine.Changing Lives. ®
TheUniversity of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics department of
Hospital Administration is seeking a Director,Strategic and
Financial Planning. The role will work incollaboration with the
Chief GrowthOfficer to lead and facilitate strategic and tactical
planning for UI HealthCare. This position advises clinical and
administrative leaders on how tovalue, structure, and execute
strategic initiatives based on knowledge ofmarket trends, key
economic levers, and operations. This role will lead a teamin the
development of detailed business plans, pro forma financial
expectations,marketing strategies, resource / capability
requirements, anddashboards/balanced scorecards to measure
performance including volume,quality, and financial indicators.
· Conceptualize,coordinate, and lead initiatives to enhance the
competitive position of UIHealth Care and ensure timeliness of
responses to changes in market andindustry dynamics.
· Responsible fororganizing and directing strategic planning
efforts across UI Health Care,including integrating clinical
service line activities with businessdevelopment/network
· Workcollaboratively with clinical department leadership,
system leadership,clinicians, and operators to identify
opportunities to add value to existing programs;act as a strategic
thought partner by contributing innovative ideas andapproaches to
improve system, department, and service line results.
· Develop models tosupport decision making related to complex
business issues including newservice line development analysis,
current service line portfolio analysis, financialviability of new
opportunities, and impacts of regulatory changes; completecomplex
analysis of business opportunities in support of development
effortswith minimal support.
· Providescomprehensive strategic and financial information,
analysis and advice tooptimize use of the organization’s
· Remain current onindustry trends, market events, and
regulatory issues that affect theorganization and assist in
reporting implications to leadership, includingimpacts to system /
service line performance and planned strategic initiatives.
· Provideleadership, oversight, and technical support to staff
on initiatives related tostrategic planning.
· Function not onlyas a subject matter expert, manager of teams
and provider of project direction,but also as a consultant capable
of delivery of work.
· Author strategicplans and/or business plans to support the
successful attainment oforganizational, operational, and clinical
· Lead a team ofprofessionals in partnering with other
organizational leaders to developwritten plans that contain goals,
objectives, relevantmarket/performance/economic data, measures of
success, and methods forevaluating performance to plans.
· Coordinatesefforts across multiple areas to assess and
finalize business developmentefforts, such as clinical operations,
financial/accounting, due diligence,legal, reimbursement,
regulatory and compliance, information technology, humanresources,
marketing, and other areas, as needed.
· Plans for key resourcesrequired for the organization to
achieve its goals. Supports organization andprogram leaders in
conceptualizing, prioritizing, and planning new programs orprogram
· Contribute to thedevelopment of assumptions and economic
levers for financial pro formas relatedto potential service line /
program growth, joint venture, acquisition, andother initiatives
and successfully communicate them to partners.
· Develop andcommunicate an understanding of key dependencies,
execution risks or additionalopportunities involved in proposed
· Demonstrateoutstanding leadership in developing staff to meet
the needs of UI Health Care.
· Set goals withstaff in keeping with the organizational goals
and support the development ofstaff through identification of
appropriate training and educationalopportunities.
· Develop robustand collaborative working relationships with key
stakeholders and supportfunctions internally and externally to
result in successful completion of growthinitiatives, strategic
partnerships, and other assignments.
· Maintainclose working relationships at all levels of the
organization to ensure thequality of planning deliverables and to
synchronize strategic / service line planswith operational and
· Master’s degreein a relevant field such as Business
Administration or Health Administration orequivalent combination of
education and experience.
· Seven years of progressiveresponsibility in such areas as
hospital administration, provider strategicplanning, business and
· Proven success inthe facilitation of strategic processes,
business plan development and execution,and strategic analyses.
Experience achieving results in a large, complexorganization.
· Advancedanalytical, planning and problem-solving skills.
Ability to conduct strategicanalysis, inclusive of the development
of financial models and internal/externalresearch to support
business decisions. Ability to deal with a multiplicity ofcomplex
· Demonstratedknowledge of healthcare market research, program
development, business modelingand marketing, including experience
preparing detailed business plans and proformas.
· Excellentwritten, verbal and interpersonal communication
· Proficiency in MSOffice applications
· Demonstratedexperience working effectively in a diverse
· T en years of progressivemanagement experience; leadership of
major clinical operations preferred.
· Experience withan academic medical center or multi-regional
Application Process: In order to be considered, applicants must
upload resume and cover letter (undersubmission relevant materials)
that clearly address how they meet the listed required and
desiredqualifications of this position .
Jobopenings are posted for a minimum of 14calendardays.
Successfulcandidates will be subject to a criminal background
Classification Title: Director, Clinical Services
Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
Compensation Contact Information
Equal opportunity/affirmative action employer The University of
Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All
qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis
of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion,
associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a
disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance or accommodations
with the application or interview process may contact University
Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services, (319)
335-2660 or firstname.lastname@example.org . For jobs in UI Health care, please
contact UI Health care Leave & Disability Administration at
My Profile Create and manage profiles for future
Contact us to learn more about how to qualify for Veteran's