RN - 6 North Med Surg/Neurology
Company: Catholic Health Initiative
Location: Des Moines
Posted on: June 12, 2021
MercyOne Central Iowa operates four not-for-profit, Catholic
medical centers in Des Moines, West Des Moines, Newton and
Centerville and two specialty hospitals - MercyOne Children's
Hospital in Des Moines and MercyOne Rehabilitation Hospital in
Clive (965 beds total) - along with more than 20 additional
facilities that house more than 50 primary care, pediatric,
internal medicine and specialty clinics. Founded by the Sisters of
Mercy in 1893, MercyOne Central Iowa has the longest continually
operating hospital in Des Moines and is also one of the largest
employers in the state, with more than 7,000 employees and a
medical staff of more than 1,000 physicians and allied health
associates. MercyOne Central Iowa is a member of MercyOne, which
was founded in 1998 through a collaboration between CommonSpirit
Health and Trinity Health - two of the country's foremost,
not-for-profit Catholic health organizations. MercyOne has more
than 20,000 colleagues in Iowa and surrounding states.
MercyOne also provides you with the quality care you provide to
others. We care about our employees well-being and offer benefits
that complement work/life balance.
We offer the following benefits to support you and your
- Care@Work program supporting any child care, pet care, or adult
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for you and your family
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Voluntary Protection: Group Accident, Critical Illness, and
- Adoption Assistance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Tuition Assistance for career growth and development
- Matching Retirement Programs
- Wellness Program
Whether you are an experienced RN 'who's seen it all'or anurse
working toward that, we invite you to join MercyOne today and
experience Med Surg/Neurology nursing with us!
- Assesses, plans, and implements nursing care while ensuring
- Practices safe patient handling techniques.
- Continues to evaluate assigned patients and provides ongoing
- Anticipates, identifies, and responds to educational and
emotional needs of patients and families.
- Guides and directs healthcare personnel (i.e. Patient Care
Technicians) in caring for patients.
- Maintains knowledge of equipment set-up, maintenance, and use
(i.e., IV pumps, monitoring equipment, and drainage devices).
Utilizes safeguards such as IV pump drug library and monitor alarms
whenever available to maximize patient safety.
- Initiates emergency support measures (i.e., cardiopulmonary
resuscitation, protecting patient from injury).
- Serves in a charge/leadership role based on skill and unit
needs. When assigned charge, makes patient assignments; triages
patients; and problem solves with staff, physicians, patients,
families, and ancillary departments.
- Takes assigned call as defined in unit policy.
- Assists with patient care duties/tasks (i.e., emptying drainage
devices, ambulating, and hygiene).
- Assists with clerical duties (i.e., maintenance of chart,
patient record, and answering phones and call lights).
- Maintains patient care supplies, equipment, and
- Provides orientation/education for staff, students, and other
hospital and community organizations as requested.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Possession of a current or compact state license as a
Registered Nurse issued/defined by the State of Iowa.
- BSN preferred.
- Proof of completion of Mandatory Reporter - Child and/or
Dependent Adult Abuse training within three (3) months of
- Basic Life Support certified within six (6) weeks of hire.
Acceptable credentialing bodies and certifications include American
Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and American Heart
Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers.
related skills: certified medical-surgical registered nurse,
csrm, pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (copd),
sepsis, urinary tract infection (uti), cellulitis, renal failure,
falls, dehydration, diabetes, encephalopathy, congestive heart
failure (chf), syncope, traumatic brain injury (tbi),open reduction
internal fixation (orif), total hip replacement (thr), total knee
replacement (tkr), rotator cuff repair, amputation, bowel
obstruction, vital signs, IVs, feeding tubes, catheters, foley,
oxygen tanks (o2), medication, pharmacology, admissions, discharge,
electronic medical records (emr), charting, medical history,
caloric intake, output, project management, care coordination,
follow up, rounding, reconciliation, wound care, dressing change,
bandages, sutures, staples, ulcers, acute care, staff nurse. job,
nursing jobs, rn jobs, acute care hospitals, nursing care, M/S, med
surg, med-surg, med/surg, neuro, safety, ongoing treatment, safe
patient handling, education
Keywords: Catholic Health Initiative, Des Moines , RN - 6 North Med Surg/Neurology, Other , Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!