Company: Smithfield Foods
Posted on: November 22, 2021
Job Locations: US-IA-Carroll Your Opportunity:The
Environmental/PSM Coordinator is responsible for ISO 14001
Environmental Management System, Risk Management program, Process
Safety Management regulation to meet the requirements of 29 CFR
1910.119, maintaining/updating the documentation supporting the
facility implementation of the fourteen (14) elements of the
Process Safety Management program, wastewater treatment plant
operation, air permitting and reporting, EPCRA reporting, storm
water pollution prevention, spill prevention controls and
countermeasures, hazardous waste and other regulatory programs.
This position is responsible for contributing to a safe work place
and will lead the identification of and response to the
environmental and processes safety management needs and concerns of
regulators, company management and employees.Core
- Ensures conformance to environmental regulations and company
environmental policies and guidelines. Responsible for
Environmental Management System, Risk Management Program,
wastewater treatment plant operation, air permitting and reporting,
EPCRA reporting, storm water pollution prevention, spill prevention
controls and countermeasures and hazardous waste.
- Maintains ISO 140001 certification and conformance to the
- Assists with environmental site audits and coordinates the
facility response to findings.
- Ensures facility compliance RMP/PSM program.
- Prepares permit applications for modifications and
- Works with Corporate and Plant engineers on construction
- Gathers and centrally organizes information pertaining to all
14 elements of PSM to sustain the program.
- Assists with the development and maintenance of written process
safety information identifying workplace chemical and process
hazards, equipment and technology used in the processes.
- Develops and implements a point of use library containing all
process safety information in accordance with OSHA 1910.119.
- Prepares compliance manuals, as necessary.
- Assists with the organization and execution of Process Hazard
Analysis of all plant units.
- Manages the Management of Change Program to include the
tracking of change submittals and approvals, start-up approvals,
assisting with the development of operating procedures, tracking
results of hazard evaluation, training of personnel on changes and
updating Process Safety Information.
- Participates in compliance audits for PSM to include preparing
for the audits, tracking status of recommendations against due
dates to ensure zero late action items and ensures documentation is
available for employees at the facility.
- Assists with performance of workplace hazard assessment,
including identification of potential sources of accidental
releases and identification of any previous release within the
facility that had a potential for catastrophic consequences in the
- Consults with effected employees and maintains documentation
that supports employee participation with the PSM program.
- Assists Facility Operations with development of written
operating procedures for the chemical processes, including
procedures for each operating phase, operating limitations, and
safety and health considerations.
- Assists with the performance of Pre-Startup Safety Review
(PSSR) of all newly installed or modified equipment. Tracks the
status of recommendations and completion as identified in the
performance of the PSSR. Periodically audits the PSM Program.
- Enlists and trains other department personnel to assist in the
development and implementation of the PSM program elements.
- Ensures all associated documentation is filed, indexed and
maintained sufficiently for third party compliance auditing, per
the facility PSM program procedures.
- Ensures Site's EPA RMP file is kept up to date including the
5-year accident history report.
- Assists facility management with development of annual program
implementation goals, provides periodic reports and distributes as
- The above statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this
job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so
classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications:To
perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) and 2+
years of progressive experience in OSHA's PSM program, or
equivalent combination of experience and education, required.
- Demonstrated computer skills, particularly Microsoft Word,
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Internet Explorer and industry
specific software packages.
- Possess an understanding of document control as it relates to
the PSM process.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal
supervision, self-starting and proactive, and have strong
organizational skills. Must be able to handle multiple assignments
simultaneously, set goals, and complete commitment on
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to make
presentations to a wide range audience including management,
technical, and non-technical levels on program status and
- May be required to travel.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
environment.Work Environment & Physical Demands:The work
environment characteristics and physical demands described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions
(non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related),
working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne
particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is moderate but can be loud
if in the plant areas.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Occasionally lift
and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision,
distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger,
handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch,
or crawl and talk or hear.Careers and Benefits:To learn more about
Smithfield's benefits, visit
smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.PEOPLE MATTERMore than 63,000
employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair,
ethical and rewarding work environment.GROWTH & DEVELOPMENTWorking
at Smithfield isn't just a job - it's the foundation for a lifelong
career with training designed to help you advance
professionally.BENEFITSOur people matter. That's why we offer
excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time
employees.SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGESustainability is ingrained in our
culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the
future.About Smithfield Foods:Headquartered in Smithfield, Va.
since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with
agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 43,000 U.S. team members
and 16,000 European employees are dedicated to producing "Good
food. Responsibly. -" and have made us one of the world's leading
vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered
sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our
industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S.
company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across
our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of
protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of
millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield
boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as
Smithfield -, Eckrich - and Nathan's Famous -, among many others.
For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect
with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.EEO/AA
Information:Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed
to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender
identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled
individual or any other protected group status or non-job
characteristic as directed by law.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Des Moines , Environmental/PSM Coordinator, Other , Carroll, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!