Registered Nurse Med Surg
Company: MercyOne Newton Med Ctr
Posted on: August 7, 2022
MercyOne Newton Medical Center is a fully owned hospital of
MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and a member of MercyOne
Network.It is located in the city of Newton, Iowa, county seat of
Jasper County. Positioned on Interstate 80, the nation's only
east/west transcontinental interstate highway, Newton is about 30
miles east of the Des Moines metropolitan area, which has a
population in excess of 400,000.MercyOne Newton has a well-deserved
reputation for bucking the trend of diminished health care in rural
America by enhancing the quantity and quality of its services
during the last two decades. This has been accomplished by
expanding, remodeling and providing technological improvements to
its physical facilities and by adding new physicians. -MercyOne
Newton employees and local doctors are known for their highly
productive "Iowa work ethic," emphasis on compassion and quality
patient service, and loyalty to -the hospital and the community.Our
campus in Newton has 48 beds and about 200,000 square feet of
space. Attached to the hospital is a 50,000-square-foot medical
office building containing local physician practices and the
hospital's physical medicine and rehabilitation center.MercyOne
Newton is one of the largest employers in Jasper County, along with
the local school system and the county government.
Sign-On Bonus eligibility includes:
- New to the MercyOne system
- $5,000 Sign-On Bonus -POSITION SUMMARY: - The registered nurse
plans and provides professional nursing care to the patient from
admission to discharge. - He/She coordinates care with other
disciplines, consults with the family or significant others, and
collaborates with the physician on the patient's behalf. - The RN
assesses, implements, and evaluates nursing care. - The RN is
responsible for supervision of PCTs and Support Assistants. - The
medical surgical registered nurse provides care in a 23 private
room unit. - This unit cares for patients with a variety of medical
and surgical diagnosis including but not limited to, congestive
heart failure, cardiac arrhythmias, pneumonia, diabetes, COPD,
abdominal surgeries, total joint replacements, hospice,
orthopedics, skilled rehabilitation and infusion care. -ESSENTIAL
- Administers nursing care to patients; includes assessment,
planning, implementing and evaluating the patient's care plan in
coordination with the physician.
- Provides patient/family or caregiver education and counseling
in recognition and solution of physical, emotional and
environmental health problems.
- Supervises health care members (i.e., patient care technicians,
etc.) with patients.
- Utilizes computer applications and communication technologies
appropriate to the work setting to enter, retrieve and analyze
information and to facilitate communication and education.
- Maintains knowledge of documentation requirements needed for
- Works independently with limited direct supervision using the
Nurse Practice Act, Mercy Medical Center polices, nursing standards
and professional judgement.
- Maintains knowledge of equipment set-up, maintenance, and use
(i.e., IV pumps, monitoring equipment, and drainage devices).
Utilizes safeguards such as IV pump drug library and monitor alarms
whenever available to maximize patient safety.
- Works rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays as
- Initiates emergency support measures (i.e., cardiopulmonary
resuscitation, protecting patient from injury).
- Takes assigned call as defined in unit policy.
- Adheres to standards of care for respective nursing units and
utilizes the nursing process.
- Demonstrates nursing knowledge and judgement concerning patient
- Demonstrates ability to establish priorities and organize
- Demonstrates competence in the clinical practice area.
- Assumes responsibility for own professional growth and
- Demonstrates professional written and verbal skills.
- Demonstrates professional attitude and interest in work by
maintaining acceptable work habits and behavior.
- Demonstrates knowledge and participates in the education of
patients, relatives, and/or visitors.
- Demonstrates commitment to Customer Service and the Standards
- Maintain an awareness of personal and patient safety when
performing all duties.
QUALIFICATIONS: - - Understands and is able to apply the nursing
process while meeting established Nursing Standards. - Must be able
to read, write and follow written and oral instructions in English.
In addition, must be: able to operate computer efficiently; skilled
in meeting the growth and development needs of infant, child,
adolescent, adult and geriatric patient groups; and must possess
knowledge and understanding of cognitive, physical, emotional, and
chronological maturation processes of these patient groups. -
Maintain BLS certification at health care provider level and ACLS,
as well as, Mandatory Reporting certification. - -EDUCATION: - -
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. - -EXPERIENCE: - -
Nursing experience in a hospital setting preferred. - -LICENSURE: -
- Current license as a Registered Nurse from the State of Iowa
Keywords: MercyOne Newton Med Ctr, Des Moines , Registered Nurse Med Surg, Other , Newton, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!