Feed Mill Operator
Company: Smithfield Foods
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Feed Mill Operator
The Feed Mill Operator is trained to tend, operate, and oversee all
of the operator areas within the mill (i.e. receiving, batching,
production floor, loadout, etc.) to assure compliance with
established procedures relative to quality, productivity and safety
by performing assigned duties.
- Follows standard operating
instructions/procedures in the performance of all operator areas,
including flushing procedures for batching and pelleting, along
with record keeping.
- Operates all equipment/tools (computer, grinders, tools, fork
lift, etc.) in all areas.
- Prepares and maintains shift activity reports, tracks
production reports, sampling reports, bag dump reports,
- Regulates flow of materials and observes flow to ensure
attainment of specified products.
- Performs daily feed, bulk and micro ingredient inventory.
- Performs housekeeping duties as requested by the supervisor, is
responsible for keeping designated area clean while supporting
co-workers in other areas.
- Maintains and ensures the safety of all employees and assets of
- Acquires and maintains necessary certifications (weigh master,
fork lift, etc.).
- Responsible for filling micro-ingredient, tote system, and
maintaining necessary stock at the batching areas and receiving
- Responsible for complying with all environmental laws and
procedures to which Smithfield subscribes.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with company IPS
and EMS policies and procedures in the performance of their job
- Report all environmental issues immediately to their
- Reads and understands the company's emergency notification
- Conducts duties in a way that maintains compliance with
ISO22000 Feed Safety and Quality Program, including opportunities
for continuous improvement.The above statements are intended to
describe the general nature and level of work being performed by
people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills
required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
- Ability to read and understand documents such as safety rules,
maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to recognize critical areas of the mill control
- Ability to read and speak English.
- Basic computer skills desired
- Must be able to work an average of 50 hour weeks, including
night, holiday and weekend when required
- Must be supportive of the mission of producing high quality
- Must be tolerable and willing to learn and perform the
different areas of the feed mill process.
- Must be able to work week-ends and holidays.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described
here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and
ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or
feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and
talk or hear.
- Must be able to tolerate extreme ranges of seasonal
temperatures (hot to cold).
- Must be able to tolerate grain dust, chemical odors, and
frequently noisy conditions.
- Will work in wet and/or humid conditions, and around fumes or
airborne particles, chemicals, and cold.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits. PEOPLE MATTER More than 63,000
employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair,
ethical and rewarding work environment. GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job - it's the foundation for a
lifelong career with training designed to help you advance
professionally. BENEFITS Our people matter. That's why we offer
excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time
employees. SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGE Sustainability is ingrained in our
culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc.
is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global
reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to
producing "Good food. Responsibly" and serve as one of the world's
leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered
sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our
industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S.
company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across
our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of
protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of
millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a
portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield,
Eckrich and Nathan's Famous, among many others. For more
information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace
diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual
orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected
veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other
protected group status or non-job related characteristic as
directed by law.
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Des Moines , Feed Mill Operator, Other , Lucerne, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!