Company: Iowa State Fair
Location: Des Moines
Posted on: January 17, 2020
WORK DUTIES: TIME % DUTIES 35% Repairs to existing structures and
equipment on the Iowa State Fairgrounds.
- Methods of construction for repairs is consistent with existing
- All work is done in a manner that maintains structural
- Completed repairs result in a product that is comparable to
- Fabricates and restores historical buildings to include
moldings, details, furnishings, floors, columns, windows, doors and
scroll work. 35% Construction of new facilities or equipment on the
Iowa State Fairgrounds.
- Read and interpret sketches and blueprints, follow written and
- Prepare accurate material list and estimate project cost as
- Advise in the selection of materials and methods of work.
- Project work is completed within an acceptable time frame with
the finished product being of a quality that is consistent with or
exceeds the qualities of the craft.
- Constructs, installs, repairs, and restores cabinets,
laminates, windows, doors, floors, solid surface counters and
office furniture. 10% Maintain he tools and equipment associated
with the carpenter shop.
- Shop is kept clean and orderly.
- Stationary tools are maintained in good working order with all
guards, fences, blades, knives, and cords in good working
- Insure that safe operating procedures are followed by anyone
working in the shop, and that all safety equipment, i.e. fire
extinguishers, eye wash equipment and first aid kits are in good
- Fabricate templates for use with stationary machinery to
produce millwork components and moldings. 10% Locksmith work.
- Install and maintain locking mechanisms in all buildings
associated with the Iowa State Fairgrounds.
- Key and rekey locks installed in all buildings associated with
the Iowa State Fairgrounds.
- Keep accurate records of locks and key codes.
- Keep accurate records of assigned employee keys. 05% Maintains
accurate project records
- Keeps time, materials, and job records of projects.
- Draws precision layouts and reads and interprets blueprints and
- Inventory and inspect tools and equipment quarterly to ensure
proper and safe operation and or use.
- Assemble and maintain records regarding the servicing of
stationary and hand power tools.
- Works within the established time requirements for notice on
vacation and compensatory time. 05% Instructs semi-skilled and
unskilled helpers and oversees work in progress.
- Schedules the work of those assigned to help in various
projects assuring that work is done on time in a workman like
- Check on work in progress and completed work insuring that
quality is maintained.
- Trains and instructs others in the work unit so that work is
- Conscientious use of clean-up times and break times. Essential
Functions: The demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
- Displays high standards of ethical conduct. Exhibits honesty
and integrity. Refrains from theft-related, dishonest or unethical
- Displays a high level of initiative, effort and commitment
towards completing assignments efficiently. Works with minimal
supervision. Demonstrates responsible behavior and attention to
- Encourages and facilitates cooperation, pride, trust, and group
identity. Fosters commitment and team spirit.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques used in
the carpentry and cabinetry trades.
- Ability to perform the full range of carpentry and cabinetry
tasks without supervision.
- Have a general knowledge of OSHA rules and regulations for a
safe work environment regarding the construction trades.
- Ability to read ,have a valid driver license, operate hand
power tools such as saws, drills, etc. routinely handle 50lb. load,
work outdoors and wear a respirator. While performing the duties of
this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, sit,
use their hands to finger, handle, and maneuver or feel objects,
tools or controls. They must reach with their hands and arms: climb
or balance themselves; stoop, knell, crouch, or crawl; be able to
talk and hear. Vision requirements are that the employee must see
well with, either naturally or with correction, and must have good
peripheral vision. The employee must be able to hear well either
naturally or with correction. The work environment: The work
environment characteristics described here are representative of
those an employee encounters while performing the essential
functions of this job. The employee frequently works near
machinery. The employee is frequently exposed to wet, hot, cold,
and humid conditions and rough terrain. The employee will
frequently be working outside or in an unheated building. The noise
level in the working environment may be very loud.
Keywords: Iowa State Fair, Des Moines , CARPENTER II, Professions , Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!