Instrumentation & Electrical Technician
Posted on: January 16, 2022
ABOUT POETAt POET, it is our mission to be good stewards of the
Earth by converting renewable resources to energy and other
valuable goods as effectively as humanly possible. For over thirty
years our drive and passion to change the world has enabled us to
become the largest producer and marketer of bioethanol and leader
in biobased products in the world. Beyond our world-class culture,
POET team members enjoy competitive pay and benefits including;
- Health, dental, & vision insurance
- A multifaceted wellness program encompassing the whole person
mentally, physically, and spiritually. We support health freedoms
and personal choices.
- 401K with company match
- Premium pay for qualifying positions
- Quarterly profit sharing
- Paid time off and paid holidays
- Tuition reimbursement
- Onsite fitness centers or fitness reimbursements
- Safety and cold weather gear, and more! JOB SUMMARYThe
Instrumentation & Electrical Technician is responsible for
troubleshooting and identifying root-cause issues, repairing or
replacing parts and rewiring and installing related
instrument/electrical goods at the bioprocessing facility. The
Instrumentation & Electrical Technician ensures that all work
performed follows electrical codes and tests and inspects and
repairs issues when they occur. Team members in this position will
communicate any problems or concerns to the management team. This
role is also responsible for reviewing all electrical procedures
for the bioprocessing facility, assisting in developing pertinent
electrical programs and training team members. Continuous plant
operation includes 24/7 schedules. Team members must be able to
meet call-in requirements as needed. DURING A TYPICAL DAY (IF THERE
- Troubleshoot and identify a root cause, repair, or replace
parts, rewire and install related instrument/electrical goods
including conduit and/or wiring.
- Ensure that all work performed is completed by following all
local electrical codes. Including 4160V, 480V, 220V, 110V, 24V DC
and 4-20 mA loops and circuits as applicable to the location.
- Troubleshoot PLC/DCS I/O including 4-20mA loops, 120V/24DC
- Responsible for all preventative and proactive electrical
maintenance and compliance procedures.
- Assist with emergency and scheduled shutdowns while performing
regular mechanical duties as directed.
- Calibrate, configure, and repair of measurement/control
instruments for flow, level, pressure, temperature, and pH
including associated valves and valve actuators.
- Understand electrical and instrumentation equipment associated
with plant processing equipment.
- Possess a strong understanding of motor control circuits and
- Inform management of any instrument/electrical parts needed and
assist with maintaining the required
instrument/electronic/electrical parts inventories.
- Document and record: utilizing inventory control systems,
maintaining calibration records, ordering parts, work with outside
- Work with the management team and all staff daily to ensure the
operation and all facilities are operating to standards.
- Understand how equipment and instrument/electronic controls
operate and are utilized to operate the plant.
- Maintain work area to include cleanliness, serviceability, and
accountability of all tools and supplies.
- Accomplish all other tasks, work orders, cleaning assignments
or other duties as assigned by the management team.
- Assist in developing, training, and reviewing all pertinent
instrument/electrical programs and procedures including Arc Flash
Hazards and electrical integrity.
- Maintain licensing by attending state-required code classes as
required by location/leader.
- Be expected to receive calls after hours, including weekends
and holidays, in the event of an emergency bioprocessing situation
that would require electronic or instrument/electrical
- Foster a culture of safe behavior and environmental compliance
at all times.
- Always maintain a team environment and champion POET in the
- Since were all about teamwork and getting the job done, your
skill may be put to a lot of other uses! STRENGTHS OF A SUCCESSFUL
- An associates degree in an electrical training program or
equivalent is required.
- Journeyman or Master License preferred but may be required
based on location.
- Thorough knowledge of standard electrical equipment and work
practices is required.
- Ability to troubleshoot, maintain, and install 4160V, 480V,
220V, 110V motors and breakers, protective relays, PLCs,
transformers, motor control centers, lights, breakers, panels, and
other miscellaneous electrical equipment as applicable to the work
- Troubleshoot PLC/DCS I/O including 4-20mA loops, 120V/24DC
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication
skills as well as the ability to embrace change.
- You know the basics of Microsoft Office Suite. Youre capable of
learning new programs.Preferable experience in working with:
- Read and translate the information found within all: PLC code,
Schematic wiring, and Ladder and P&IDS process diagrams.
- Industrial network experience.
- Minimum of 1-3 year(s) of related work experience.
- Experience with 3 phase electrical systems up to 4160V 3 phase.
GROWTH OPPORTUNITIESAt POET we believe in developing our team
members to their highest potential and recognizing contributions
that add value to the organization. Each new team members position
and compensation are carefully determined by consideringtheir
unique qualifications and skillset. WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Culture is king at POET. Were all on the same team. We always
communicate. And we park our egos at the door. These arent just
slogans on our walls. Its the way we do things at POET.
- This position is largely self-directed and requires a thorough
understanding of company policy, procedures, and values. Team
members will be required to adhere to all safety requirements at
all times and in all work environments. This position is exposed to
work in multiple environments, including plant, laboratory, as well
as an office environment. The team member may be exposed to high
noise levels, moving mechanical parts, dusty conditions, internal
and external temperature/weather conditions, and chemicals.
- Specific physical requirements may include:
- Occasionally lifting weight up to sixty (60) pounds.
- Climbing several flights of stairs and ladders.
- Opening valves.
- Occasionally bending, twisting and turning while lifting weight
of less than fifty (50) pounds.
- Data entry while seated for greater than one (1) hour.
- Walking up to two (2) or more miles per day.
- Pushing brooms, shovels, etc.
- Working at heights, in confined spaces and at temperatures from
-20 to +100 degrees.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Using hand and power tools. POET is an Equal Opportunity
Employer (EOE). POET complies with all applicable federal, state
and local laws regarding hiring and employment. Qualified
applicants are considered for employment without regard to age,
race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation,
gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Not ready to apply yet?Join POET's Talent Network to stay connected
and receive updates on the latest careers!Copy this link and paste
in your browser: https://careers-poet.icims.com/connectby
Keywords: Poet, Des Moines , Instrumentation & Electrical Technician, Professions , Menlo, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!